Dana Nessel and Chris Kessel have the experience necessary to help you deal with charges of theft or retail fraud. We believe you should be informed about your options when you need a criminal defense lawyer for theft, larceny, or retail fraud.
Here are a few things you need to know about retail fraud laws and prosecution in Michigan.
- First Degree Retail Fraud involves property valued at $1,000 or more. As a felony, it is punishable by up to 5 years in prison or a $10,000 fine.
- Retail Fraud Second and Third Degree Were you involved with an incident involving $200-$1,000? This misdemeanor can be punishable by a fine of up to $2,000 or a year in prison.
- Organized Retail Crime includes but is not limited to destruction of antishoplifting devices, fraudulent credit purchases, and stealing merchandise; it is punishable by up to 5 years of imprisonment, a fine of $5,000, or both.
- Larceny in a Building is a felony involving money, land deeds, scrap metal, and more. It is punishable by a fine of up to $10,000 or imprisonment up to 5 years.
Keep reading to learn more about important Michigan theft, stealing, property damage, and larceny laws.
- Larceny of motor vehicles or trailers; aggregate value; prior convictions; breaking or entering; damaging. At the level of misdemeanor, it involves the value of property between $200-$1,000. At the felony level, it involves property between $1,000-$20,000. The misdemeanor is punishable by up to 1 year of imprisonment or a fine of $500 or less. The felony is punishable by imprisonment for 10 years or less or a fine up to $15,000.
- Larceny from the person is a felony punishable by imprisonment for up to 10 years.
- Larceny, places of abode, work, storage, conveyance, worship and other places is a felony.
No matter kind of prosecution you are dealing with, you can trust the top criminal attorneys at Nessel and Kessel Law for the best legal representation and criminal defense in the courtroom. With decades of litigation experience and an extensive knowledge of the law, clients rely on Dana Nessel and Chris Kessel for their expertise and counsel regarding any legal needs.
About Nessel and Kessel
Nessel and Kessel Law has established a reputation as Detroit’s best criminal defense attorneys with a track record of success in thousands of criminal defense cases throughout the state of Michigan. No case is too big or too small to receive the serious attention and care that Nessel and Kessel Law will provide. Regardless of whether it is a civil infraction, misdemeanor, or major felony offense, our criminal defense lawyers will work hard for you in any case. The defense criminal lawyers at Nessel and Kessel Law offer a FREE and confidential consultation regarding your case.
Find out more about Nessel and Kessel’s criminal defense options here.